High-Tension Wire Kills Three-Year-Old, Mother, Siblings Injured
Tragedy struck on Dada Olowu Street in the Abule Egba area of Lagos State after a high-tension wire fell on a shop and electrocuted a woman, Patricia Ossai, and her three children.
Punch Metro learnt that Patricia and her children were inside the shop when the wire snapped from the pole and fell on the shop.
It was gathered that the wire, which belong to the Ikeja Electric, fell on the shop during a downpour on Friday around 11.30am.
Punch correspondent learnt that Patricia and her children, who became unconscious when the wire fell, were rushed to a nearby hospital.
It was gathered that at the hospital, one of the children, Chidi Ossai, was pronounced dead.
Patricia’s husband, Sunday Ossai, who spoke to PUNCH Metro said he was still at work when he was informed about the incident.
He said, “I got the shop two months ago for my wife to sell provision so that she can have something to do.
“I was at work when someone called me that I should rush down to a hospital in the area, adding that my wife and children had been rushed there.
“When I got there, I was told to collect hospital card for the three of them and deposit N100,000 for treatment before I could be allowed to see them. They later told me that I lost my boy.
“I was able to raise N50,000 for them to start treatment for the ones alive.
“The next day, some officials of IE came and said I should not worry about the bill, but I have not heard from them although they told the Managing Director of the hospital to continue treatment.
“I was told that the officials had come to the street to work on the pole four days before the incident, but the wire they worked on cut where they joined it, fell on the shop and electrocuted my family. My daughter is seriously injured and my wife and last child are on drip.
Sunday urged the government to come to his aid, saying he had spent all his life saving.
“I have lost my boy, I don’t know what the government can do to bring my boy back but they should try and help me to take care of the ones alive because I have spent a lot of money since the incident happened,” he said.
The landlord of the affected shop, who did not identify himself, said he was inside the house when he heard a noise outside the compound.
He said, “On Friday, the light was on and suddenly I noticed that all electronic appliances in my house were in flames.
“While I was battling the flames, I heard a noise outside and I rushed out and saw what happened.
“About five people were affected, including the woman and her three children.
“It was raining when the wire snapped. The woman and her children became unconscious and they were rushed to Hampard Hospital.
Some youths wanted to protest, but I talked to them because I don’t want trouble. I called the IE officials but before they switched off power supply to the area, the damage had been done. They, however, came to remove the wire.
“According to the meeting I had with the officials, they said they would take care of the hospital bill and they have visited the woman in the hospital.”
The Head of Corporate Communications of Ikeja Electric, Felix Ofulue, could not be reached as his mobile phone rang out. He had yet to reply to a text message sent to the number.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article