Deadly Cholera Outbreak In Yemen Has Affected Over 300,000 As 7,000 New Cases Are Recorded DAILY
A deadly cholera outbreak that has plagued Yemen since last year reached a grim milestone on Sunday as the number of suspected cases surpassed more than 300,000.
More than 1,700 people in the war-torn country have died of cholera in the past months, the International Committee of the Red Cross announced on Monday, and 300,000 people are suspected to be ill.
The epidemic is now growing at the staggering rate of 7,000 new cases per day, said Robert Mardini, the Red Cross regional director for the Middle East, in a tweet. The capital of Sanaa and the regions of Hodeida, Hajjah and Amran are among the hardest hit.
“Unfortunately, we have a perfect storm in Yemen,” ICRC spokeswoman Iolanda Jaquemet told HuffPost on Monday. “The country has been brought to its knees because of this conflict.”
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article